Today while analysing the traffic to and from the site, I noticed that I had got a few links from a blog that was hosted on blogger.com that I didn’t recognize. Interested, I visited the page. It was some “high oil prices suck and so does Bush” (some of which I don’t disagree with). But, I didn’t see how my site was involved… until I searched the source. The guy was linking to an image from this post about high gas prices following Hurricane Katrina.
Folks, this is called theft.
So, I adjusted the image using the magic of .htaccess and some Paint magic.
The content of my blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 license. That means you can use the content of my site, provided you give me credit on your site with the content and you license your work under an identical license. If the guy in question would have contacted me, I would have said he could copy the image to his server (and use his bandwidth) while giving me credit. As it is, he stole my content and my bandwidth. Bad…
So, I logged on today and happened to visit my own site, and realised that it had completely went wonky. At first glance, it looked like the database had crapped on itself. There were only two blog entries appearing on the homepage, all of the archives were gone, and even some other pages which were dynamically generated had gone totally wonky. Logging into the backend of Movable Type showed everything was intact still. So, I started to troubleshoot the display problems.
Today, I updated the following modules via FreeBSD’s Ports collection:
Something in one (or multiple) of those broke dynamic pages. So, I converted both my site and Josh’s site back to static pages, and all should be fine now.
Movable Type allows you to schedule posts in advanced (for example, I’m writing this post Sunday night but it won’t publish until Tuesday afternoon). However, in order to get the scheduled post to “pop” live at the time you specify, there is script that you run from the server via crontab. It makes since that they won’t magically appear when you static publishing, since the Movable Type program actually creates each web page manually and stores them on the hard drive, content complete.
However, it also supports dynamic publishing, where the pages are created automagically by the program when they are accessed. This allows you to do stupid pet tricks, speeds up things like comment postings, and saves hard disk space on the server. It would make sense that, since the pages are created automatically as they are requested, that it would automatically publish the page that is past it’s scheduled date. But, it doesn’t. A scheduled post for today didn’t appear because when I switched to dynamic, I deleted the cronjob. It’s fixed now, but, it’s still dumb.
Life has been hectic recently, therefore I haven’t had time to update recently. But, I’m upgrading the box to FreeBSD 6.0, and that means I’ve got to ruin my uptime. 🙁
Well, I feel like I have hit the big times. I just deleted 65 trackback spams. I feel like someone noticed. Hooray! (well, really, Thanks to the new anti-spam features in MT 3.2).